Monday, May 19, 2014

4.9 Writing Character

Choose one character and develop it by:
  • Imagining more detail
  • Making sure you've done any necessary research
  • Asking some ‘What if?’ questions.
  • Imagining some of the reasons surrounding the character’s dress, behaviour, speech or actions

Write a paragraph or two about this character.

So last time we left it with the idea from my notebook for some unknown character getting involved in a revenge plot against his past-self, taking place on some floating islands of some kind. That's definitely a 'what if' question!

Lets see if the above questions can help shed some light on him/her.

~

It was like constant déjà vu.

There I was, busy at work, oblivious to anything else, and here I was watching myself! 

I'd tried to prepare myself for this but I couldn't help but stare as my past-self continued tinkering with the invention that would make me world famous. I remembered the occasion vividly. Right now I would be confused how to stabilise the reaction which was consistently overheating in the current model. In a moment I would pick up the mark v17 and throw it at the wall of the lab; shattering several month's work but sure as hell feeling better for it.

Did my lab coat always make me look hunchbacked like that? You might see yourself in vidpics, and home holomovies all the time but nothing is quite the same as actually seeing yourself 'in the flesh'. Unconsciously I pull in my shoulders and straighten my back. Maybe it's not too late to rescue some semblance of posture.

In front of me, my first-class hissy fit had just begun. It was equal parts hilarious and horrifying. With forced detachment I could smile and see it as watching this late twenties scientist jumping about like water poured on a cat whilst pulling at his already thinning hair. Yet at the same time I couldn't help feel every ripped out follicle, and wince in pain as I kicked a table; doing far more damage to my toe than it.

It was time to move. Shortly my temper tantrum would run its course and I would leave the campus and head to the only place I could get any solace right now - a local bar. If my plan was going to work I needed to get there first.

~

Interesting. I'm fairly sure I must have a dozen or more mistakes with tense or something there. It was confusing trying to have the character talk about his other self and keep them aligned. Definitely some options for the character there though. From having nothing it's nice to see him emerging.

Happy Writing. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment