Wednesday, May 7, 2014

2.12 Familiar Words

2.12 Familiar words in unfamiliar places.

I'm really struggling with this one. Hmmm... perhaps I could describe the struggle itself!

The writing task sat smugly on a pedestal, confident it has me bested this time.
~
The struggle for an ordinary word description smothered me in a sticky embrace.


Yeah, I'm not too sure about either of those. This is definitely tricky.

Other course writers to the rescue.

"It was mid-morning, sunshine squeezed through the small slatted window of the dingy apartment."

This is part of the entry from Deana Mazzocchi-Phillips. Sunshine squeezing. I love it! Ordinary word, unfamiliar use.
~

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for opportunities to practice this.

Happy Writing :-)


2 comments:

  1. I definitely preferred your second option (sticky embrace) to the first. Not sure pedestal or even bested could be classed as familiar words, if, as I think they mean plain, everyday words. Thinking back to my 7-year-reading-age-of-the-average-British-householder days I would reckon both to be above that.
    I heard a lovely use of fam in unfam on an obituary programme about Leslie Thomas, but I shall get it wrong - it was something like thin sky over a flat sea.
    Dylan Thomas has a lovely one By a thin sea of flesh. Just ordinary words creating a vivid picture. When you hunt for such uses though that are original they will fly before you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smugly was the ordinary word I was actually going for in the first. I ummmed and aaahed for an alternative to pedestal for a while but nothing showed itself. I agree though.

      Thin sea is good - I like it.

      Delete