Tuesday, April 29, 2014

1.1 Hello!

1.1 - Greetings.

Hello!

If you made it here (via FutureLearn) and are reading this - woo! Please leave a comment linking me to your profile and I shall do my best to return the favour.

Let's begin with the generic introduction I guess.

My name is David, otherwise known as Smee and I've been writing on and off since my early twenties. It was a gaming forum which first sparked my interest. I engaged in some light text roleplay - an exercise of getting into character - and found it to be a lot of fun.

This - somewhat randomly - led me to www.cityofif.com where I spent 4 years thoroughly enjoying the art of Storygaming, both as a reader and then eventually as a writer. Storygaming works similarly to the old choose-your-own-adventure in a way. An author posts a chapter to a story, ending the chapter with a 'decision point' for the main character. Readers then discuss the chapter, decide on some possible options and the author puts those into a poll. Voting then determines the course of action for the main character and it is then down to the author to produce chapter 2 with the reader's decision leading the way.

It was a kind of interactive writing which really appealed, and helped to improve my writing dramatically over the years.

Since then I spent some time on Writing.com - producing a number of short stories for the numerous competitions with varying success. In general though my writing has slowed down significantly and I'm hoping this course (along with this blog) will help kick my muse into action.

Happy Writing :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment