Tuesday, April 29, 2014

1.5 Reading Fact and Fiction

1.5 Reading Fact and Fiction

Ok so it's time to check out other people's facts and fictions and answer some queries.
  • Is there anything that distinguishes the fictitious elements?
  • Are there common elements that you and your fellow writers write about as ‘facts’?
  • Do any of these passages suggest stories to you?
So I'm going to pop to the lesson comments and pull out a random paragraph :

This is from Alan Bithell

Three fiction, one fact 
The walk back from Loch Mord turned a pleasantly tired feeling unto utter exhaustion. Cows, it turns out, are more dangerous than sharks, as our short cut proved. Dignity fled faster than we did, when we realised the steadily growing thundering noise was being made by a herd of enraged highland cows. 


Ok I'm going to be taking a guess here. I think the green highlight is the fact. That speaks like some common saying, likely due to some statistic about deaths to cows compared with sharks used by people to defend sharks and get tourists back on to beaches. Similar to that same statistic about flying which is wheeled out every time there's a plane crash. Back-up guess that the species of cow is the fact. 

The fictions are a little trickier. I reckon the Loch name is a fabrication. It may exist, but they weren't there. The 'thundering' noise seems very 'story' like in its description. Finally I'm not convinced the cows really were 'enraged'. They're pretty placid creatures. Any 'stampede' would likely be panicked cows rather than from anger.

Hopefully Alan stops by to confirm - but otherwise an interesting exercise.

So my paragraph then.

1) It seemed strange to be 32 years old and yet still feel like a teenager. Surely I should grow up at some point and act like an adult! Running a hand through my long black hair I suppressed a sigh and picked up the next piece of ironing. Just ten more items to go!

My fact is my age, my fictions are my actually short brown hair, and I simply never do ironing! Perhaps that makes the second sentence another fact! Oops.

My second paragraph - all truth except Bogey is a cat, not a dog! Yes, we really did name a pet Bogey.

I may have more to say regarding the questions once I read some more people's examples and actually get see some answers where people 

Happy Writing. :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment